Friday, January 15, 2010

Should i trim the nails of my Blue fronted amazon my self?

i have a blue fronted amazon and his nails are really sharp should i cut them myself and if so how would i do it?Should i trim the nails of my Blue fronted amazon my self?
Only if you can see where the vein in the claws is. To clip too short you could clip that vein or as it is said. . . clip the quick,much like cutting your own nails TOO short and as it makes your finger sore for a day or two so will it do the same for the bird.


Cutting the nail too short will cause it to bleed not that this is a bad thing but it opens the bird up for picking up infection and having a problem bigger than sharp nails.


When you clip a nail too short,as it heals the vein will receed but until that happens and the nail heals,the bird could be pretty miserable esp if it gets infected nails.


I suggest you take it to the vet for this proceedure and even they can clip a nail too short but if they do they had medicine that will stop the bleeding and can give the bird a round of antibiotics to cut back the chance of infection.





Once the nails are clipped,using sandpaper perch covers helps keep the nails filed down and easier to manage.Should i trim the nails of my Blue fronted amazon my self?
ask an expert to show you how to trim birds claws then do it your self

No comments:

Post a Comment